Tuesday 1 January 2013

Renovations Continue

Just before I show what I've done today I thought I would like to just remind us all it is still Christmas with this picture of our mantel.




Happy New Year to all our Family and Friends for 2013

I was feeling a bit down today, which doesn't make sense considering my back is now sorted out and no longer in pain.  Anyway to amuse myself this afternoon I thought I would try doing some more in the kitchen.  We found yet another different wall paper above the basement door.

A typical kitchen paper I would say about the 1970's


I have cleared the majority of the paper from the top of the door to the hall way.  There are cracks from both corners of the door frame and the right side moves when you push it in.  I still think I can repair this without removing all the plaster.


 The grey covered material is harder to remove now so I am having second, or is it third thoughts on trying to remove it all.  I think going forward I plan to remove all the actual wallpaper.  I will remove any of the grey fabric product that is loose and comes away, mainly over areas that have been patched or placed over cracks in the plaster and missing plaster.  Just to give you and idea the white is either original plaster or patched areas, the beige is still paper that needs removing, the yellow is the paint on the plaster wall.  I will have to chip out some of the patching which is higher than the wall and leaves a bulge.

Once all the wallpaper is removed I shall use Mario Rodriguez method of refinishing the wall this method of his mimics the original plaster, I shall follow the directions in; 'Renovating Old Houses; Bringing Life to Vintage Homes, by George Nash. It will be a lot of work.  I hope I can find the product he uses, it is a reinforcing mesh that is coated with joint compound.  Before I even think of that I have to clean the walls, chip out loose plaster, these walls appear to have two types of plaster a rough grey type and then a smooth white layer.  So far more work than I even imagined when we first pulled some of the green paper down.

No comments: