Saturday 31 March 2012

60th Birthday

My husband threw me a 'surprise' birthday party, except it wasn't a surprise, at least not the party.  The surprise was having my daughter, Evette, Smiley (Richard) and Zachary show up at the front door just before the party began.  I was so shocked, surprised and emotional that I cried.  Michelle had already arrived for the party so had answered the door.  I can't even now express the delight, happiness and many other emotions that went through me at that time as I cried tears of joy. 

I had teased Evette about insisting she come to celebrate my 60th birthday but not really meaning her too as I know funds are very tight for them and Victoria, BC is a long way from Prince Albert, SK.  They worked out their options for the costs of coming and realized that the cheapest way would be to drive.  Yes, they drove with a three year old to spend this special time with me.  The last time I saw them Zachary, my grandson, was only three months old and now here he was three and a half years old.  Of course we had chatted on Skype so I wasn't a complete stranger to him.  Evette said he was so excited all the way here until they arrived and then he became very shy.  It wasn't long before he was giving me a big hug.  This was a day I will not forget.

When Evette said she had an idea on how to surprise me for my birthday I fleetingly thought she's coming to visit but just as quickly dismissed the notion.  They drove all that way to spend from Friday evening until Tuesday morning with me.  Evette had to be back at work on Thursday.  Needless to say I took Monday off, phoning in to say my daughter and family were here and so I was staying home to spend quality time with them.

Those of you who follow my blog know that I have a big bathroom on the main floor which has a sunken jacuzzi jet tub.  We asked Zachary if he would like to use Nanny's big bath, of course he did.  Evette gave the bath a good clean filling it with water past the jets, adding vinegar, we ran the jets to clean them out.  We got Smiley to pop out to the garage and get my net that I skim the ponds off with and we used that to remove the yucky scum and bugs from the surface of the water.  After running the jets several times we let the water sit in the tub.  After a couple of hours we drained that and put a fresh batch of water and vinegar skimming off the top again anything that was unpleasant,  there wasn't much this second time and after letting it sit we drained the water, rinsed the tub and then Evette used a regular cleaner to give the bath a good scrub using a brush to scrub around the edges of the jets.  Once this was all rinsed off we felt the tub was clean enough for Zachary to use.

The excitement from our little man because he was having a bath in Nanny's big bath was wonderful.  Of course we had to have bubbles, using baby body wash and shampoo in the water we turned on the jets and here are some of the pictures I managed to capture during this bath time.


Before the jets were turned on.


While the jets were on, a very excited grandson. I love this picture as you can see the actual water drops in the air as he splashed excitedly.



Lots and lots of bubbles.



His favourite part was putting his face in the bubbles and then spitting them out.


Blowing into the bubbles

 

One happy little boy.

He had one other time in Nanny's big bath with bubbles but this time we told him to keep the water in the tub.  The first time the floor was swimming in water but Nanny didn't mind because I laughed so hard, it was wonderful to see him having so much fun in a tub that I will never be able to use.  We had quite a bit of water in the basement too.  It wasn't until he had his second bath in this tub that we realized that the bath leaks probably at several of the jet connections.  You know, I did not care.  This little man had so much fun that the water in the basement did not matter.

I was one very happy Nanny with an opportunity to watch my grandson have so much fun in his Nanny's big bath tub.

1 comment:

Sketti said...

Aw! My little Cherub! He still talks about your bathtub!