Sunday, 17 February 2013
As I've stripped the wall paper off I've had to decide whether to remove the canvas product. There are areas where it has already been removed, areas that have come away because it is not to the wall or the plaster is so broken up that I have had to remove the canvas. I have decided that I will leave the canvas that is adhered to the wall rather than take the chance of pulling off anymore plaster, but remove loose areas or small pieces that come off as I scrape the wall paper off. This is what the wall will look like when I have finished removing all those layers of paper.
I plan to use an 80 grit sandpaper to take the shine off this grey paint and any remaining pieces of paper that have not been removed.
While doing this I have confirmed that the doorway down to the basement is definitely not the original location. I believe this was the pantry, in the following pictures I am pointing to where the height of the door used to be, you can also see where they added height to the doorway. I'm not sure that they have added a header to this door so may have to consider taking out the framework to correct this problem.
This will be just another problem that I have to deal with.
This is what the original tile looked like and I have a feeling it was put in when the house was first built as there is no paint or paper under neath. This is attached directly to either the finishing plaster, as we see on the picture of the wall or to the rough plaster that I found when I removed this last piece of faux tile.
So this is a portion of the wall that I am dealing with this actually was covered in faux tile.
On the other side of this wall is the parsons bench and there is no way I want to damage this by removing the original plaster wall.
So I've just added a picture of our stairs, I love the custom made banister and rails, the heart is a lovely detail and the dark coloured wood is wonderful so hoping to replicate the original door trim and this dark stain in the kitchen trim.