Saturday 23 March 2013

How Long Does it Take to Unpack?

Richard and I have lived in our home for almost two years and I have been promised that I could unpack my thimble collection 'soon'.  That 'soon' finally came and Richard hung my little shelves and for about a week I unpacked and added thimbles to them, I still have room for a few more. 

I had forgotten how many different places my daughter, Evette, had visited while she was living in England.  I had also forgotten that Richard and I also had visited quite a few different places over the years.  The collection is now out and ready to collect dust, of which there will be a lot as you can not renovate without adding a lot of dust to your home.


This is how they are arranged on the wall, around an oil painting that I like.


I believe I picked this wooden shelf unit up at a yard sale and it works well for the various sizes and shapes that the thimbles come in.  On the top shelf are two miniature totem  poles that I do believe Evette and Ian purchased for me when they were little.  On the second shelf down on the right is a miniature church that I do believe Richard and I purchased when we were both in England.


The little house came from my Mum as a Christmas gift many years ago and there is a piece of unpolished amethyst in the centre, a piece of crystal rock top left, under that a polished red-brown rock.  In the middle bottom row is a miniature badger, I don't recall where that came from. The other thimble shelf has little pegs for the thimbles to sit over and this I think was my Mum's and all those thimbles are a small portion of the ones Evette and Smiley have sent me over the years they have been together.


The painting is one done by an Australian; E. Thomas, that was at the SPCA's auction last year.  Richard went on the first day and he said there were several and he liked this one the best.  I was shocked that he did not grab them all, having original oil paintings rather than prints on the wall is a bonus.  He did go back to see if there were any left sadly they were all gone.  This years auction I shall take the Friday off work to go with him.  I do agree with him, it is a lovely painting.

And the answer to the question 'How long does it take to unpack?' for ever because there are still totes and boxes that have not yet been unpacked.

No comments: