Friday 19 December 2008

Day Three of the Move

Finally a few moments to let you know how the move played out at least day three!

Day three we were up really early; waited for the Ontario Power guys to move their vehicles in order to move the motor home out of the parking spot we were in. Once on the road we decided to see how far we could drive, actually how long I could manage. The walkie talkie batteries were died so no communication between our two vehicles. That was fine, Richard had a plan, if I needed to stop for any reason I was to turn on my flashers, which he would see, and pull over at the first opportunity. Well it sounded good until I actually tried to gain his attention. I needed a washroom break;
flashers on...
1 1/2 hours later...
I was desperate...
finally my signal was seen!

We decided that because of the perishables in the motor home we would munch as we drove; lunch consisted of chips, chocolate and water. At about Roblin, Manitoba I once again needed a washroom;
flashers on...
1 1/2 hours later and a few horn beeps...
I was almost beyond desperate...
On no! Where was he pulling off...
A Superstore Gas; no washrooms here...
He had still not seen my flashers or heard my horn...
Quick instructions we are going to Wal-mart to buy batteries and to use their washroom facilities; he was filling the motor home, unlike a car that fills very quickly the motor home takes forever because it has a huge tank. Finally we headed for Wal-mart. We decided to continue traveling, eating as we drove; supper consisted of chips, chocolate and water.

In Yorkton we change our positions; I drove lead with my flashers on and Richard drove behind me with his flashers on and no headlights. We traveled the rest of the way to Prince Albert. When we reached Malford, Saskatchewan I buzzed him on the walkie talkie (yes we did buy batteries) and told him he better chat to me as I was finding it really hard keeping my focus on the road. We pulled into Prince Albert 15 hours after we had left Kenora, Ontario.

First we had to find our new home and drop the cats off and leave the motor home outside the house until the following day. We did take some of the perishables into the house but not many. Then we headed for Mervin and Gerdie's home (our hosts for the next few days).

No comments: