Tuesday 19 August 2008

Richard's Friday Swim

The Flower of the Day


Tansy


This is a picture of the entrance to Grand Marais harbour. (It was taken a few years ago.) You may ask why I have included it with this years photographs.


On Wednesday, after Richard had completed his work-out at the Pump House, he came back and decided a swim was in order. The waters of Lake Superior are definitely not known for their warmth, on the contrary they are very cold even in the height of summer. I noticed that quite a few of our neighbours were watching him, one couple were using binoculars, they were very concerned because of the distance he had swam out. I assured them he would be fine , although I must admit I was a little concerned he was out so far. That was Wednesday.


On Friday Richard once again went to the Pump House to do his work-out, on his return he went for a swim. He was gone for some time so I decided to see where he was. To my astonishment he was heading for the lighthouse (see first picture). I lost track of him so went inside to grab his binoculars; realising that once again the neighbours were keeping and eye on what he was doing. He made it to the first light house.


The speck to the side of the lighthouse is Richard, having climbed out of the water to take a rest. The people who were at the lighthouse talked with him for a while. Then he was back in the water heading, you've guessed it, not back to shore but to the light on the other side of the harbour entrance. By this time I was watching through binoculars most of the time. There was one point when a boat was coming into the harbour and heading directly toward him. He told me he was a little concerned but they did see him in time to adjust their course.


If you look very carefully you will see him walking on the wall from this light beacon. He was definitely the talk of the campsite that day. He was told they had never seen anyone swim across the channel before let alone swim back again. I'm sure someone must have done it in the past. Needless to say I was happy once he was back on my side of the harbour. He was tired but exhilarated that he had accomplished his goal with no ill effects.


What did I do on Friday? I sat outside knitting, went for a short walk around the campgrounds and just generally relaxed. The following day we were packing up to head back to Thunder Bay. Richard was preaching at a church there on Sunday.

2 comments:

Sketti said...

Wow! I'm impressed! Great post and I'm glad you had a nice holiday...try to remember that as your happy place when you get stressed about work...just close your eyes and imagine yourself there! I've been told to use distraction therapy for labour...but I don't know where my happy place is!

Laura said...

Whoa...I was scared just reading about it...but I thought he must be okay or you wouldn't be talking about it! Good for him!