Wednesday 9 July 2008

LIGHTHOUSE STROLL

The Flower of the Day


Harebell


Although this walk is listed as a stroll, for those of you who know me this was as nerve racking as going up in a gondola. As you can see from the picture, the pieces of wall that connect the various rocks and take you out to the lighthouse were not that wide. My nerves were in shreds but I did not give in and made it all the way to the lighthouse!

I made it to this table of rocks with a lot of trepidation. Has my fear been conquered? Probably not, but at least I did not allow it to have dominion over me. There were sections that I literally had to clamber onto on my knees because they were too high for me to step onto safely.



I tried to capture the waves as the wind was whipping them up onto the rocks but it was tough to snap a picture just at the correct time. On one side of the breakwater you had the full expanse of Lake Superior; on the other side you had the calmness of the harbour.

This gives you an indication of what we walked along for a good portion of the "stroll". Richard was clambering all over the rocks with the video camera taking lots of footage. This is the first year that we have had a video camera with us and I'm looking forward to seeing what he has captured during our vacation.


This is looking toward Grand Marais (now spelled correctly). You can see how calm the harbour area was compared to the crashing waves on the other side of the wall.

This is a great picture of the calm also found between the rock formations and the break water. The trail is made up of a natural break water and then concrete to connect each outcropping.

No comments: