Thursday 3 July 2008

POPLAR RIVER OVERLOOK

The Flower of the day

Twinflower


Today's trail, Poplar River Overlook, is listed as; gravel and hard packed dirt; average 9' wide, then narrows to 2-4' wide. Moderate rock and root. All this to see Poplar River plummet over huge boulders through a rocky ravine.


These two pictures are taken .3 miles into the walk on either side of the bridge. You hear the noise of the rushing river long before you can see it's churning waters.


The majority of the walk was tough, thank goodness for not only my hiking poles but also for the assistance given by Richard. This was more than challenging for me. We stopped often to drink water and eat our almonds and apples.

I was determined to see the vista at the end of my struggles.

This was the view that greeted us at the outlook, it was disappointing to have the trees so overgrown that the river is barely visible in this picture but it is there in the middle, to the right of the dead poplar tree. It is also hard to tell how high up we had climbed.

I'm proud of the fact that I made it to the top and back down again with Richard giving a helping hand over the harder sections.
This trail was a total of 1.7 miles.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yeah! You're back! The pictures and flowers are lovely! I look forward to seeing more of them!

Laura

Ronnie said...

Hopefully more to come.