Thursday 10 July 2008

OVERLOOK SNOWSHOE TRAIL

The Flower of the Day

Blue-eyed Grass
This flower is said to be very hard to find. Having to watch where I put my feet while hiking, I managed to spot this clump of grass in bloom.

This is the map above Grand Marais on Gun Flint Trail giving a great indication of what the view is and oriented for the viewer, N. is at the bottom of the map. The furthest northern point of Lake Superior is Nipigon, if you follow the map half-way up the left side is Grand Marais where we love to park our Motor Home for vacations.


Here we are ready to start this new hike. Directly behind us is Grand Marais.

This is the view at the end of Overlook Snowshoe Trail. The view is amazing and only a very short hike of half a mile.


The flowers were abundant. This shot shows Orange Hawkweed, Ox-eye Daisy, Red and White Clover and others that are not easily distinguishable.

A view of Lake Superior through the trees along the trail.


Richard took this picture. At the overlook one edge was a shear cliff.

This was a very gentle and short hike with lots of flowers for me to photograph, some varieties I will have to find the names of once we arrive home and I can check with my reference books. As the walk was short, Richard had yet another surprise for me!

No comments: